Honor Your Essence
A blessed week to all you reading this post today!
I stumbled upon this quote today and would just like to express my thoughts on it...
I DISAGREE WITH THIS QUOTE.
I do understand why anyone would subscribe to this thinking because I had been there.
When you've been hurt so many times in the past, sometimes you just can't help but question if everything was your fault or if you could have helped the situation and prevented the bad things from happening. It's natural and understandable to come to a conclusion that you must have done something wrong and therefore you must change something about you to prevent the same thing from happening again.
I used to think that way too. I was told so many times that I am too trusting to a fault, and because of my nature, people end up abusing or taking advantage of me. So at one point, I stopped trusting people. I became more and more suspicious of their motives and question their sincerity and intentions. But it also wore me out in the process.
Here's what I learned and what I need you all to understand as well...
Your good heart wasn't the problem. It was never your fault that some people made the choices they made. It wasn't your fault that they chose to take advantage of you, take you for granted and to not value you in their lives. You are not accountable for their thoughts and choices. You are only accountable for yours.
And that's why I'm urging you to choose to honor and embrace who you are regardless of how people treat you. That doesn't mean you have to be a pushover and just let them walk all over your boundaries. You ladies know I will never subscribe to that thinking and therefore will never want any woman to dishonor herself that way either.
What I'm suggesting you do instead is to HONOR YOUR ESSENCE.
- Honoring your essence means that you refuse to allow any person or circumstance change you in a way that grieves your spirit and extinguishes your fire.
- Honoring your essence means that whenever given a choice between saving a relationship and saving your sanity, you choose the latter any time of the day.
- Honoring your essence means you don't have to conform to the situation to gain peace of mind. You simply change the situation or rise above it, so far high where it can neither touch you nor hurt you.
- Honoring your essence doesn't mean you start treating others the way they treat you. Rather, you treat others the way you treat yourself, and choose to do that every time, no exceptions.
- Because honoring your essence means if you treat yourself with love and kindness, you treat others with love and kindness too. If you don't take any sh*t from yourself, that means you don't take any sh*t from anybody else either. If you don't allow yourself to wallow in self-pity and excuses, then you don't tolerate that from others either.
- Honoring your essence is recognizing that no wind is strong enough to sway your convictions, no storm is violent enough to uproot you from your core beliefs, and no one gets to tell you (in their words or their actions) who you should be other than who you know you were created to be.